Monday, February 18, 2008

Lutsen

This weekend we went to Lusten for a little skiing with my sister and brother-in-law. Lusten is about an hour and half, maybe two, north of Duluth and definitely the best downhill skiing to be had in Minnesota. We had a great time, although our accommodations left something to be desired.

Beth and Mike both telemark skied. It's sort of a cross between downhill and cross country. The boots and skis are similar to downhill, but only your toe is hooked in, your heel is free. It looks hard. My sister "accidentally" took me down a black run. It wasn't that bad and I actually went down it on purpose later on. Don't be too impressed though. A black in MN is probably more like a blue in MT. Anyway, here a few pictures . . .





3 comments:

Maggie said...

I'm so jealous of your weekend. I want to go skiing. And I do love Split Rock :)

Unknown said...

I haven't been skiing in AGES. I fear what might happen if I put on a pair of skis, although I used to enjoy it. As long as it was at least 30 degrees outside and the runs weren't icy.

abigail emerson said...

I am jealous too! And I agree, telemarking looks ridiculously hard.

Did you notice the odor near the new supposedly advanced chemical pit toilets on Moose Mountain? I found it added a certain something special to the scenic overlook photo experience.